Date Assigned: 5/2/2013
Date Due: 05/18/2013
Unit 4 Learning Objectives:
- Students will be able to identify the key fundamentals of investing.
- Students will be able to explain treasuries; Bonds, Notes and Bills.
- Students be able to compare and contrast different options for long term investmenet (e.g. stocks, bond, CDs, mutual funds IRA, 401k, pension plans, Social Security)
- Students will be able to identify and explain different opportunities for investment and draw economic conclusions from market data.
- Students will be able to explain diversification and how this investing strategies involve various investment vehicles such as; real estate, collectibles, etc.)
Students will be able to define what retirement means to them and how they can plan for their own retirement. (401k, Traditional IRA, Roth IRA, SEP, etc.)
Do: Reading “Help, I’m 25 and Want to Start Investing” reading
Read then write a 50+ word summarizing the article. Then write a 50+ word reflection on how you can apply the information in the article.
Do: Reading “Trading the Markets for Diamonds & Gold” reading
Do: Reading “What Happens When You Cash Out Early” reading
A Penny a Day http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uka5owZdFDI
The Power of Compounding Interest http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZdGOHZ_91g
Investment Cartoon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yw0wgOCvTjo&feature=related
~View PowerPoint and take Notes
~Do Worksheet: Simple Interest and Compound Interest formulas — last slide of PowerPoint
~Do Definition Worksheet (first 5 only): Obtain information about basic investing methods
(Savings Account, Money Market Account, CD, I and EE Savings Bonds)
~Do Definitions Remaining on Worksheet: Take notes to complete
worksheet (use same worksheet from previous Assignment 2 lesson)
~View: Bond Rating video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx6ttA-kmos&feature=youtube_gdata
~View Mutual Funds video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ns4VaoExDJY&feature=related
~Group activity: Use scenario provided to make investment recommendations for Ella Vader.
~Do Worksheet: Developing a Financial Investment Portfolio
~Read: Make Money While You Sleep and write your “top 10 list” (see directions on reading)
~View video: “Can You Afford To Retire” http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/retirement/view/
~Do Worksheet: “Can You Afford To Retire” video
~Do Discussion of Definitions on Retirement Student Guide: Take notes
~View Retirement Accounts PowerPoint or PDF and take Notes 401(k) and IRA Retirement PowerPoint or PDF
~Do Worksheet: Comparing 401k Growth
Reading “Planning Your Tax Strategy”
Upload and read the following article: Tax Planning Basics
Or access the article online at: http://taxes.about.com/od/taxplanning/a/taxplanning.htm?p=1
Go to these 2 websites and take the investment quizzes. Be prepared to discuss your results.