Date Assigned: 3/29/2013
Date Due: 04/17/2013
Unit 2 Learning Objectives:
- Students will be able to identify sources of credit and the advantages and disadvantages of using them and explain the significance of developing a positive credit rating and describe the advantages it can provide, the inherent cost of maintaining a credit card balance, and the risk of accumulating too much debt.
- Students will be able to compare and contrast tools for payment (e.g. cash, check, debit card, phone, mobile) and explain the advantages and disadvantages of each.
- Students will be able to explain advantages and disadvantages of on-line banking options.
PowerPoint: Banking Services (take notes)
DO: Use the websitehttp://www.practicalmoneyskills.com/personalfinance/savingspending/banking/
- Click on “Banking Tutor” on right hand site of the web page.
- Select Deposit Slip and view the tutorial by clicking the blue arrows.
- View and read the first 4 tutorials only: Deposit Slip, Check, Register and Bank Statement.
DO: Download the Practice Forms handouts and complete the signature card, deposit slip, check endorsements, and check: banking forms
PowerPoint Notes: Checking Accounts (take notes)
DO: Complete the Banking Services handouts and Checking Simulation complete each for your portfolio.
- Using the blank checks and check register, complete the Banking Services “Keeping a Running Balance” checking activity. Use the bottom or reverse of the check register handout to write answers to questions 1 through 6.
- Complete “Reading a Bank Statement” activity. Print the handouts, or use a blank sheet of paper to write answers to questions 1 through 13.
- Complete “Reconciling an Account” activity. Use the bank reconciliation form provided to you. Print the handouts, or write answers to questions 1 through 5 on the bottom of the reconciliation form.
Checking Simulation: Checking Simulation
Credit and Credit Cards:
View the short video: (click the link below)
PowerPoint Notes: Credit Powerpoint
Building Credit: 5 Easy Steps
DO: Angela’s credit actions Angela’s credit score
DO: Watch video: Secret History of the Credit Card
DO: Video Handout video handout
DO: Evaluating Credit (Lupita, Hai Ying, Henry & Carolyn)
Group Activity Credit Profile Evaluations
PowerPoint Notes: Credit Cards PowerPoint
DO: Review task #2 Emma, Byron, Maria, and Kevin case studies
Unit 2 Exam study guide